What are my responsibilities as a patient?
The hospital appreciates your cooperation to ensure that efficient, safe and considerate care is available to all. Van Diest Medical Center requests patients to:
- Provide physicians and hospital personnel with accurate information related to your condition and care.
- Understand that you are responsible for consequences resulting from refusing treatment or not following instructions of physicians and hospital personnel.
- Be considerate of the hospital staff.
- Use hospital equipment and facilities carefully so that they remain in good condition for use by others.
- Respect the desires of others for privacy and quiet times.
- Observe visiting hours and limit visitors to two at a time.
- Remember that Van Diest Medical Center is a smoke-free environment. You and your visitors are expected to comply with this regulation.
- Supply insurance information and pay bills promptly, so that Van Diest Medical Center can continue to serve the community effectively.
- Understand that if you wear dentures, eyeglasses or contact lenses, you are responsible for their safekeeping during your hospital stay.
- Understand that items left on a meal tray, misplaced in your bedding, or placed under your pillow may be lost, and the hospital cannot assume responsibility to replace them.
- Understand that jewelry, cash and other valuables should be given to your relatives or friends to take home, or if that is not possible, you should deposit such items in the hospital safe. You will be given a written receipt for all items, which must be presented when you withdraw them.
For more information, please see the “Patient Rights & Responsibilities” section of our site.