- Date Posted
- October 1, 2021
- Full Time
- Human Resources
Van Diest Medical Center
2350 Hospital Drive
WEBSTER CITY, IA 50595, US
- More Information
The Health Information Manager plans, coordinates and provides for accurate and timely information that flows through the Health Information Management (HIM) department. This position also monitors and ensures compliance with state and federal regulations related to protected health information. As the facility’s privacy officer oversees all ongoing activities related to the development, implementation, maintenance of, and adherence to the organization’s policies and procedures covering the privacy of, and access to, patient health information in compliance with federal and state laws and the healthcare organization’s information privacy practices.
Responsible to: Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
Workers Supervised: Transcriptionist, Coding Specialists, HIM/ROI Clerk and other workers as assigned.
Interrelationships: Works closely with Patient Access, Patient Accounts, Nursing, Quality Assurance, Utilization Review, Information Technology, Hospital Leadership, Physicians, Staff, Vendors, Patients and Visitors.
- Responsible for the hiring and evaluation of HIM department personnel.
- Provides administrative direction for all department activities to ensure efficient, effective utilization of human, financial, and material resources.
- Directs and monitors all technical aspects of the department to assure compliance with federal, state and local regulations.
- Develops, implements, and updates departmental policies and procedures.
- Provides education and training to the hospital employees in areas relevant to health information management policies and procedures.
- Monitors and evaluates dictation/transcription systems to ensure timely and accurate medical record content.
- Monitors and evaluates electronic health records to ensure confidentiality of protected health information and data integrity.
- Monitors and evaluates paper and electronic health records for accuracy and completeness of health information.
- Monitors all coding functions, both inpatient and outpatient, for the facility ensuring accuracy and compliance with coding conventions and guidelines.
- Monitors timely completion of the electronic health record, notifying medical staff of deficiencies as appropriate.
- Participates in the development, implementation and ongoing compliance monitoring of all trading partner and business associate agreements, to ensure all privacy concerns, requirements and responsibilities are addressed.
- Serves as information privacy consultant to the organization for all departments and appropriate entities.
- Requires coding experience
- Prefers a minimum of an associate degree in Health Information Technology or related field.
- Prefers two or more years of management experience; preferably in a hospital setting.
- Prefers two or more years of experience in Health Information Management functions.
- Requires certification as either an RHIT or RHIA within two years of employment.
- Requires the ability to speak, read, and write fluent English.
- Prefers experience in healthcare finance specifically relating to coding and reimbursement including ICD-10, PCS, and CPT-4 code sets.
- Prefers knowledge and experience in information privacy laws.
- Prefers knowledge of access to and release of protected health information.
- Prefers knowledge of information systems and healthcare applications.
Contact the Human Resources office at 515-832-7711 for questions or more information.
Apply online at www.vandiestmc.org under the "Careers" tab.